Moving Check List
Two Months Prior to Moving:
- Garage Sale or Donations
- Schedule professional movers or recruit friends and family help loading and unloading
- Gather packing supplies: boxes, packing material, tape, felt markers, scissors, blankets
- Place your legal, medical, financial, and insurance records in a safe and accessible place
- Start packing items that aren’t regularly used such as off-season clothes and decorations, items in storage areas.
- Make arrangements for your pets
- Gather or have transferred medical records from doctors, dentist, optometrist, veterinarian etc.
- Back up important computer files
- Contact your utility companies and notify them of your move
- Schedule for utilities at your new address
- Transfer safety deposit box and bank account
- Pick up items from the dry cleaners, repair shops and/or friends
- Pack survival kit of clothes, medicines, special foods to carry you through while you unpack
- Finish packing all boxes minus what you’ll need in the final week
- Inform the post office of your upcoming move
- Change of Address Notification: Friends, Family, Banks, Insurance Companies, Credit Cards, Financial Institutions, Magazines, Newspapers, Doctors, Lawyers, Accountant, Other Service Providers, State & Federal Tax Authorities etc.
- Survival Kit with you, and not packed in the moving van
- Keys to your new home in hand!